It’s been a couple of years since I have taken the girls abroad, and as you can imagine by now I am itching for some fun in the sun. I’ve found myself searching all week for the perfect summer holiday for us (when I probably should be working) it’s dawned on me I am actually quite picky nowadays! Where as I used to just find a good price and off I’d go now I am looking into facilities and things like transfer times – I have turned into a real responsible grown up. There is of corse good reason for this, have you ever travelled with three young children? It’s not for the faint hearted.
After reading ‘The grumpy travellers list of most annoying traveler holiday gripes‘ I thought I would share my own holiday gripes from past experience..
- Price changes – So this is a new one I am experiencing, but the huge price difference in being able to take a holiday during term time or in the school holidays is shocking. I knew they went up but to almost double in even October was quite a shock.
- Baggage allowance – I never seem to get it just right especially when traveling with kids. I over pack to just nip to the shops so imagine 2 weeks in Spain every situation must be covered!
- Aeroplane toilets – well they’re never pleasant are they but when traveling with kids they are the most exciting place in the world and they want to spend the duration of the flight going back and forth. Then you get the awkward moment when the food cart comes and all hell breaks loose and your toddler just can’t keep their sh*t together for 30 seconds while they reverse back up the aisle.
- Waiting for baggage – The mad dash from the plane where people make a grab for the trolly as though their life depends on it, to then stand for a good half hour until the bags actually start to appear. While were at it why oh why are the pushchairs always last out!!!! Trying to keep a toddler entertained while holding a baby and keep an eye out for your case is enough to send anyone insane.
- Hotel hairdryers – When you see the room has a hair dryer in first thoughts are ‘oh cool one less thing to pack’, we already know my baggage will be way over the allowance but every little helps. I have never experienced a decent hotel hairdryer. Ever. So either pack your own or prepare for a very frizzy week.
- No bath mats – Hotels never seem to have bath mats this goes for UK holidays and abroad. It bugs the hell out of me the bathroom floor then needs to be covered in towels half the week to avoid stepping in puddles or breaking your neck.
- Kid’s club mascots – I sound like a right grouch for this one. Some kids love them some kids hate them, mine HATE them. Last time we were abroad we spent a hell of a lot of time convincing Maisy the 7ft Shrek was not wandering around the grounds again she was terrified.
- My Holiday curse – call me paranoid but I actually think I’m cursed when it comes to going abroad – ever single holiday I have been on we have experienced at least one day of rain! I’m talking Cyprus, Gran Canaria even Tunisia! I take the British weather everywhere I go.
Holiday Gripes by CheapHolidayLand.com
Despite my holiday gripes I still can’t wait to get away again!
What are your biggest holiday gripes?
A collaborative post.