Family Travel on a budget – Top Tips

January is all about planning and looking ahead at what the year will bring us.

What do I want 2017 to bring me? Fun time with my family is always top of the list and this year I want us to take our first trip abroad all together. I’ve been abroad with Maisy and Bella before Lottie was born but little Lottie has never been on a plane!

For two reasons; first being as a single parent the thought of me and three children in another country is quite scary. Secondly is the cost, it is so expensive to travel nowadays so as I shop around I am sharing some of my top tips for family travel on a budget.

beach2

Shop around online

As easy as it is to go straight to a big well known travel agents and book, it is usually more expensive. Have a look for online discounts think about booking the flights and accommodation separately while a package deal is quick it rarely works out the cheapest option. I am looking at Spain for the girls and I as the flights are short and it’s such a family friendly destination renting an apartment works out so much more cost efficient for us.

Take into account extra costs

It is easy to think oh that’s a good deal – book! You really need to do your research into the small detail’s  first. What’s included with your airline, baggage or inflight meals? Are transfers included?What is there to do locally for the children?

I would always look for accommodation that is near to the beach it doesn’t cost anything to take the kids to the beach and if yours are anything like mine they will spend hours happily on a beach. Spain-Holiday.com actually allows you to property search by how distance to the beach, so handy for any like minded families!

beach3

Travel light

Avoid expensive charges at the airport and don’t pack 4 pairs of shoes per person – you will not need it. Think about what you actually need and just take that. Having some space in your case is always a good idea because you are bound to bring extra souvenirs home.

Think food

Do you enjoy eating out on holiday? If so all inclusive will be a waste of time for you. Do you like chilling by the pool with unlimited cocktails? Yes!? Then all inclusive will save you money in the long run. Different board options are always available check them out first do the maths and see what is worth while for your preferences. Also check out reviews, they always talk about food if it sounds naff go for self catering or just B&B options.

Wait for last minute offers

Last minute offers can save you a fortune but they can be risky if you have specific dates you would like to travel. I am someone who needs to pre plan and know exactly where I am going months in advance but if you are less of a control freak last minute deals would be great for you.

So those are my tips for saving some money when travelling abroad, do you have any more to share?

Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post.

1. January 20, 2017 / 10:13 am

Good article, I’m always on the lookout for tips when booking a holiday. It gets so expensive with a family and I tend to agree about staying near the beach, kids can play all day with sand and water and it costs nothing. Win win!

2. January 20, 2017 / 10:14 am

Good article, I’m always on the lookout for holiday booking tips, we are all trying to save cash these days and it doesn’t come cheap with kids.
    Agree re staying near the beach, sand and water costs nothing and will keep my 2 occupied for hours.
    Juliet evans recently posted…The tedium of the school run..My Profile

3. January 20, 2017 / 10:34 am

Some great tips there on how to save money when travelling. I love planning our holidays to every last detail and saving as much money as possible. We haven’t taken D yet but these tips will definitely come in useful
    Nicola recently posted…Baby // How to Change a Nappy in 15 Easy StepsMy Profile

4. January 20, 2017 / 11:54 am

Love this post! I can’t wait to take my 3 abroad this year. We go to Spain with my mum in May and then we are getting married in Santorini in September – can’t wait! Some great tips here! x

5. January 20, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Ooo some fab tips here! I definitely need to learn to pack light – we’ve not done an overseas trip since having the baby, and I wasn’t that good before, so I really need to focus on this when we do eventually go away.

6. January 20, 2017 / 4:33 pm

Great ideas. I think not having to rent a car can save a lot of money (and hassle taking car seats). So staying by the beach or main attractions is a good idea. I also think its a good idea to stagger getting your passports. Otherwise they’ll all run out at the same time and cost a fortune to sort! x
    Rebecca | AAUBlog recently posted…Spring Fair & Home Decor Trends 2017My Profile

7. January 20, 2017 / 9:44 pm

We’ve not been abroad with our kids yet (mostly because of the cost) so it’s great to find out some tips for keeping the costs down. I’m a planner too – I want to know months in advance what’s happening. #TheListLinky

8. January 21, 2017 / 2:34 am

Great tips! We’re going down the last minute route this year in the hope to grab a bargain!

9. Georgina
    January 21, 2017 / 3:46 am

We are booking our first trip this year, being on maternity leave these tips will definitely help. Thank you!

10. January 21, 2017 / 9:15 pm

Great tips – we often forget to budget for our food on holiday and end up spending loads on it. Need to get better at planning meals when away!
    Jenna Richards recently posted…Elowen’s 2 month updateMy Profile

11. January 23, 2017 / 12:36 pm

Some great tips. We tend to always go all inclusive and then maybe just eat out once or twice. I find it so much easier with kids too as they tend to always be hungry! xo
    Harriet @ Life With Mrs Lee recently posted…Our 2017 Bucket ListMy Profile

12. January 26, 2017 / 8:55 am

Definitely. I am looking forward to read more articles on how we can go on the family trip without spending too much money.

13. February 3, 2017 / 9:42 pm

Great tips! I’ve never taken the kids abroad, my husband and son don’t do too well in the sun. I’d love to take my daughter sometime but have always been put off by the cost, but it looks like you can do it on a budget if you try.
    BloggerMummyLauren recently posted…Coping with Anxiety in the Car – Guest PostMy Profile