So you’re a young mum

I know what you’re thinking I am mid twenties now so not such a ‘young mum’ and far as young mum’s go but I am 24 years old with an almost 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

I was that young mum.

I was 18 and having my first baby, I was going to antenatal appointments feeling like I would be judged. I felt the need to make it clear to everyone that although I was a young mum, I did work, I was in a relationship and I was happy. Do the 30 year old pregnant ladies out there feel the need to make it clear they can be a responsible and look after a human – no. But I did.

As much as people would like to say they don’t judge, they do. I’ve felt it, I’ve seen it but thankfully with a strong mind and an I don’t give a.. attitude I didn’t allow it to get to me. In fact I find it quite satisfying to prove people wrong of their assumptions. I am sure people had their doubts for me as a parent when I said I was having a baby, and again when I said I was having another and of corse when the announcement that baby no.3 was on the way I know people had their own views or concerns I wouldn’t be able to cope.

Heck at times even I thought I must be crazy too but what would I be doing now if I wasn’t mum? I’d probably still be unsure of what I wanted to do, working in some kind of office I expect. Before I started my career online as a blogger all I wanted to do was have a family, to have my own children and it wasn’t until I had that which I found a passion for writing, for photography and for sharing our journey.

I’ve done the playgroups where I haven’t felt welcome, I have been to see the doctors who look at you with almost pity. From one young mum to another if you’re in a similar position to that right now hold your head high, so you’re a young mum – be a bloody brilliant one!

From one young mum to another

1. November 9, 2016 / 2:52 pm

You’re an amazing Mum Amy and you inspire me all the time 🙂 No matter our ages us Mums should all stick together xx

• November 10, 2016 / 11:26 am

Totally agree no matter the age we’re all doing the same thing – parenting!
      Amy recently posted…So you’re a young mumMy Profile

2. November 9, 2016 / 7:47 pm

Loved reading this and can relate to everything you have mentioned sometimes I still feel like a young mum and judged at the school gates ! Good to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t care what others think x

3. Jamie Edwarda
    November 9, 2016 / 7:47 pm

I really needed to read this today. I’m also a young mum, I’m almost 22 and pregnant with #3 and a carer for my mum, plus I work and I’ve been with my fiancé since I was 12. I have to prove myself too. I really wish you the best, keep your head high. You and your kiddies are beautiful <3

• November 10, 2016 / 11:27 am

Sound like your very busy! Look after yourself and thankyou for reading and taking time
      To comment it means a lot xx
      Amy recently posted…So you’re a young mumMy Profile

4. November 10, 2016 / 11:58 am

I was 24 when I had my first so am in awe of anyone that can cope when they are younger. A lot of mums where I am (surrey) were all older – so it was hard to fit in too. Didn’t bother with many playgroups etc in the end x
    Rebecca | AAUBlog recently posted…Interior Trends to Look For in 2017My Profile

5. November 10, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Such a lovely message within this post! You’re obviously doing a fantastic job raising your little ones and should be so proud of yourself. It really annoys me when mums judge other mums – after all, regardless of age, we’re all in the same boat! xx
    Megan recently posted…Autumn Styling For The HomeMy Profile

• November 11, 2016 / 12:30 pm

Thanks you Megan such a lovely comment and I totally agree we are all in the same boat xx

6. November 11, 2016 / 6:20 am

Interesting read, as an older father I’ve often wondered what judgement young mums and dads feel. That said, being unwelcome at playgroups etc, yeah, us stay at home dads get that too regardless of age!

• November 11, 2016 / 12:29 pm

Really! I am surprised to hear that John, if a dad shows up at our play group its like no ones seen a man before he gets brought a cupp and offered first pick of the biccy’s!

7. November 11, 2016 / 1:05 pm

I’m a young mummy, I was a month shy of 19 when I had my little girl last March and I always felt like people were judging me! I was sometimes to scared to go to playgroups as I was so worried that people were thinking of me badly. It took me a while but like you said its so satisfying proving people wrong!
    Love this post, I’m going to be showing it to all the young mums I know!
    Olivia recently posted…Catch up! Walks, walks and more walksMy Profile

8. November 11, 2016 / 2:04 pm

I don’t understand why people think your age will determine how good a parent you are. I found out I was pregnant at 20, and was 21 when my son was born. I got the looks, the comments, the whole shebang, but I didn’t let it bother me. I’m no wiser now than I was then, so if I was having my first baby now it would be no different to when I was 20.
    BloggerMummyLauren recently posted…A Shy Child – Joining RainbowsMy Profile

9. November 12, 2016 / 10:29 am

I was a older than you when I had my first at 24 but I still felt the same need to prove that I could do it – I think we feel that whatever age we are to be honest.
    Cass Bailey recently posted…My can’t do without Blogging Tools….My Profile

10. November 14, 2016 / 8:27 pm

I was 18 when I was pregnant with my son, and yes I felt like you. People had their opinions on me, and my life. Then they would properly meet me and my now husband and completely change their attitude towards me. Older Mums don’t need to justify themselves, so why should we.
    Stephanie Moore recently posted…How To Create An Inspirational Quote WallMy Profile

11. November 26, 2016 / 6:13 pm

Oh I can so relate to this as I too had my eldest when I was 18. Antenatal appointments were awful and I got looked down on, when I had my daughter I constantly felt like I had to prove myself. I had my youngest when I was 30 and faced non of the judgement I had experienced when I was younger x
    Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Noddy Remote Control Car ReviewMy Profile