Tiger Sheds Grow Along

A little over a month ago I was invited to take part in a fun project with Tiger Sheds to grow our very own lettuce in the garden with the kids and track our progress each week. I knew this would be something the kids would love we’ve done bits of gardening before and they just love getting mucky and helping me.
One slight problem is we hadn’t actually managed to keep anything alive so we took the challenge and I explained to the girls they really must remember to water the lettuce everyday or mummy is going to be very embarrassed when the 4 weeks are up!

Here’s how we got on..

tiger grow along

Week 1: all the bits we needed arrived and we got very messy with soil in the garden – Lottie got a little over excited and started throwing it about, Bella managed to come worse off but found it hilarious and the seeds were planted and ready to grow!

tiger grow along 2

Week 2: oh the excitement to see something growing, the girls were so proud of themselves and their brilliant watering skills.

tiger grow along 3

Week 3: What a difference a week makes they over doubled in size and started to really look like lettuce!

tiger week 4

Week 4: Time to harvest they shot up again this week and were massive the girls helped me pick some great leaves and we enjoyed ham and lettuce sandwiches – yum!

We really enjoyed this project and I am so proud to of kept something growing and to actually be able to enjoy it at the end – I’ve killed cress before (yes really) so this was a big achievement.

You can read all about the Tiger shed’s grow along project here where you will find lots of great tips and hints.

1. August 23, 2015 / 5:09 pm

This made me laugh, Amy. I’m the same as you … kiss of death for plants. My littlest is starting at gardening club in a couple of weeks. He’s two. I think the content might be pitched at my level 😉
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…Perfect peoniesMy Profile

2. August 26, 2015 / 7:26 am

What a lovely idea! I am very keen on the idea of children growing things that they can eat. They learn so much! Great that it was successful and what fab photos of your girls! Thank you for sharing and of course hosting #KidsCorner

3. August 26, 2015 / 9:48 am

I love the look of these kits… I love the idea of gardeneing and used to have a lovely allotment… I just don’t seem to have the time anymore! This might be a cute way of doing a bit of gardening without the commitment of a massive plot!
    Claire recently posted…Rainy days are rubbish! I am totally over this summer.My Profile

4. August 26, 2015 / 9:48 am

5. August 26, 2015 / 10:45 am

lol I laughed at the photo with the dirt on top of your daughter’s head – that’s just the kind of carry on we have in the garden! It’s so great to get the kiddies out gardening from a young age. Yours is coming on so well. #KidsCorner x
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…Lime Asian Fusion RestaurantMy Profile

6. August 26, 2015 / 4:03 pm

Aw, lovely photos of your girls. This is such a fab activity to do with children, Oliver would love it. Yay for not killing the lettuce 😉
    Becky-LittleOandme xx
    Thanks for hosting #Kidscorner

7. August 26, 2015 / 6:39 pm

What a great activity for them, even better that you were able to eat the results! We haven’t grown anything this year, but our garden is overrun with rabbits… I’m not sure anything would survive! #kidscorner
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…I am the mum who…My Profile

8. August 27, 2015 / 5:20 pm

Such a cute little kit! I know what you mean about watering, our indoor plants are all goners (except the aloe Vera, it’s ok!). But outdoors they are great, we get enough Scottish rain to keep them alive! 🙂 x
    Jenny Eaves recently posted…Cairngorm Mountain RailwayMy Profile