A big goal for me for 2019 is to save more money.
I definitely fall into the spender rather than saver category. Which means I need to be clever with my saving and look for little ways to cut the spending. These are my 16 realistic ways to save money everyday. They don’t involve me going without or saying no to things.
For me it’s all about being smarter with my money to make it stretch that little bit further and allow me to put some away.
- Take a packed lunch to work. A meal deal for £3.50 seems like a great idea until you add up that it’s actually over £900 per year. Make a sandwich, take last nights left overs or a tin of soup and save the cash!
Equally as important – stop buying take away coffee, make your own. This article from Wayfair will tell you just how to make the perfect coffee.
- Meal plan. When I say meal plan I don’t just mean write down what you want for dinner each night before the weekly shop. I mean going through the cupboards and freezer, seeing what you have already to make meals around that. I am forever saying we have no food when the cupboards are still full. Get creative, get online and find some recipes.
- Withdraw cash instead of using the magic plastic. It almost doesn’t feel like real money when you just tap and go. Having cash in your purse will help stop you over spending.
- Use up cosmetics in the house. We all have a secret stash of bubble bath/moisturisers etc that come in gift sets and never get used. Stop buying and use them up. Not only will you spend less but you’ll start to declutter the shelves/drawers they’re stuffed in.
- Sort through clothes. You’ll be amazed at what you have forgotten you own. It’ll be like a whole new outfit without costing a penny.
- Check for discount codes online before you click pay. There are so many sites that provide them just google discount code for xyz and you may be in luck!
- Date night? Check online for voucher codes or use a website like table pouncer for instant money off.
- List unwanted items on eBay, gumtree or selling pages. Rather than just leaving them to collect dust sell them, you may only for a couple of quid you may make a fortune – every little helps.
- Get creative with gifts. Homemade presents and cards are so much more meaningful, look at Pinterest for some great ideas.
- Change energy suppliers. Use a comparison site to see what you can save it’s really interesting.
- Switch bank. It sounds likes hassle I know but they’ll very often take care of it all for you and there are great offers and cash back incentives available.
- Cash back sites. Especially for those bigger purchases, it’s always worth checking.
- Keep a diary. Yup a money diary, just keep note of what you’re spending and where. Some times you need it to shock you into realising you’re spending £25 in Costa each week – ouch.
- Cancel memberships or subscriptions you really don’t need. I would advise checking your bank statement and looking through all the direct debits you have set up. When it’s a few pounds here and there for things you may have signed up to you think it doesn’t matter but it can all add up very quickly.
- Haggle on your household bills. Only last month I spotted that my broadband bill had almost doubled in cost! I had come to the end of my fix term contract and automatically renewed at the higher rate. One phone call, 20 minutes and I saved £17 per month that’s over £200 each year.
- Use loyalty and points cards. It’s money you’re spending anyway so why not collect the points as you go. They won’t make you rich over night but a little freebie or money off is always a nice surprise when it comes.
So there you go 16 realistic ways to save you money everyday! There is officially no excuse!