Dinner time in our house is always one of my favourite moments in the day. I get to step away from the screens at work and home, I put on some music and I enjoy pottering about creating something delicious for my family. We then sit together, have a good chat about the day gone by and the girls usually start sharing the latest inappropriate jokes they’ve picked up! It’s OUR time and as my girls get older and more independent it’s the time I truly treasure the most.
With that in mind I wanted to share one of my simple dishes which is a firm family favourite – Burritos! I am a huge lover of Mexican food the flavours, the spice, the get stuck in and mix it up feel the dishes have I just can’t get enough of. Burritos are also so simple to make and really versatile so can work with any taste pallets. The girls love that they can create there own and pile it up as much as possible it’s a great way to get them trying new flavours.
Burrito recipe (feeds 4)
3 chicken breast fillets sliced
1 Bell pepper sliced
5/6 medium sized mushrooms sliced
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 pack of Uncle Ben’s basmati rice
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder (Can use mild if you aren’t keen on spice)
8 flour tortilla’s
- Start by combining all your spices, chilli powder is optional but it will give it that Mexican kick!
- Fry your onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft then add your spices.
- Add your sliced chicken and fry until cooked through.
- Add mushrooms and peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes (you still want them to have some bite) Add extra seasoning if you feel like it needs it.
- Heat the Uncle Bens rice in the microwave as per packet instructions. Add the cooked rice to your dish and serve!
All thats left to do now is get stuck in and top how ever you like. My favourite is lots of cheese and sour cream what’s yours?
We teamed up with Uncle Ben’s to create this recipe because they believe in taking time from a busy day to connect with loved ones and enjoy our favourite dishes and I couldn’t agree more. It is so easy to grab something for convenience and rush around to the next thing on the todo list but quality time is priceless, setting a hour or so aside to enjoy the company of your favourite people is so worth while.