Today I am starting a brand new series here on Everything Mummy – Back to Basics, each week I will be sharing with you a new recipe for no fuss home cooked food. I first moved out when I was pregnant with my eldest daughter and didn’t know how to cook a thing, all the recipes I’ll be sharing are ones I have learnt and tweaked along the way. I like to feed us and the girls as healthy as possible but we are also on a budget each week so these recipes will be child and purse friendly!
I will also be looking for guest posters as the weeks go on so if you have a recipe you would like to feature please so send me an email.
My first recipe is a creamy chicken curry, very mild so perfect for the youngster but full of flavour!
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts chopped into chunks
- 300ml greek yogurt
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 200ml boiling water
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- half teaspoon of ground turmeric
- half a teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Fry the diced onion and garlic in 2 teaspoons of oil over a medium heat until soft.
- Turn the heat down to low and add all of your spices (this smells amazing!) stir continuously for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue to fry until lightly browned all over.
- Add the pepper.
- Next add your yogurt, I use greek yogurt because I’m a little obsessed with it but you could use an plain natural yogurt if you prefer. And stir.
- Add the chicken stock gradually stiring as you go.
- Finally add in the tomato puree and give it all a good stir.
- Let it cook over a low heat so its gently simmering for roughly 30 mins stirring every now and then.
- When its cooked the sauce will be thickened up and the chicken will be cooked right through.
- Serve on rice with popadoms or naan bread (or both, I do!)