Friday we had our end of term play group party! I had previously said I would make some cakes so on Friday morning when I remembered (sh*t) I had to think of something I could make fast that I already had the ingredients for lurking in the cupboards.
We went for Fairy cakes with butter cream icing so here’s the easy peasy recipe we use for some yummy cakes!
110g unsalted butter – softened at room temperature
110g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2-5 drops food colouring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/350°F/Gas Mark4 and line a fairy cake tin with 12 cake cases.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Wisk the eggs separately and add a little at a time to the mixture stirring till smooth each time and add the vanilla essence.
- Sieve the flour and fold it into the mixture.
- When the mixture is smooth add in the food colouring if using.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the 12 cases.
- bake for aprx 10 mins on a low shelve or until golden (if unsure insert a knife and if it comes out clean – they’re ready). Leave on a wire rack until completely cool before icing.
280g icing sugar
140g softened butter
2 teaspoons milk
- Beat the butter until is creamy.
- Add half the icing sugar beat untill smooth.
- Add the milk and rest of the icing sugar this will give you a nice thick buttercream icing. Add food coloring if you wish.
- Spoon a nice big dolop on to your cake or if your feeling fancy put some icing into a sandwhichs bag snip one of the corners and pipe it on.(I did plan do this but time was against me)
- Decorate with sprinkles.