Today I am bringing you another Mum’s essentials guide, this is a guide to starting yoga I’ve always fancied yoga it looks so peaceful and I always hear the results are incredible – unfortunately I have absolutely no idea where to start. So lucky for you guys I am handing over to someone who does this guest post is coming from the lovely Christine who writes a fantastic blog Yogaberry. Christine is a Yoga Teacher Trainee and a mum of two kids under three, her blog is about parenting, healthy lifestyle and of course yoga!
Over to Christine..
So you have decided it’s time to get back into exercise and fancy taking up yoga but you don’t know where to start? Maybe you have done some pregnancy yoga and quite enjoyed it, but have never been to a regular yoga class? Maybe you just want to do a little bit of exercise at home or are simply curious to find out more about the world of Om’s and bendy people!
Whatever your intention is, I have put together this ‘essential guide to starting yoga’ for you to make things a little easier and hopefully you’ll be downward-dogging on your yoga mat soon!
Where can I practice yoga?
The first thing you have to decide is where you want to practice.
- Local class:
Google is your best friend here of course so check online where your nearest yoga studio or yoga class is or you can have a look at MindBody Connect which is a great App you can download on your phone
- At Home:
There are lots of YouTube videos available. I’ve only recently started putting up videos on Youtube but you can try my 12 Minute Yoga Practice or another good one is this 21 day yoga challenge which is a series of short videos. You don’t have to do them in 21 days so you can just pick and choose what you like!
If you want to invest in a DVD then you will soon see that there is quite a lot of choice! I personally like Nadia Narain who teaches classes in North London and has done a few videos. When I first started I used this DVD a lot which is called Yogalates – Total Body Toner. This is not really yoga – it’s a mixture of yoga and pilates but it’s a start and really easy to follow!
What style to practice?
There are many different styles of yoga and I’ve written a little guide which style of yoga is right for me so do have a look if you are not sure. It all depends on what type of workout prefer and what is available in your area of course!
What clothes should I be wearing?
- You need comfortable clothes i.e. leggings and relatively fitted tops (it’s always annoying when you are in a shoulder stand and your top comes up to expose your mummy tummy ;-))
- You won’t be wearing socks so get your toes sorted! Not so much because other people will look at them but mainly because you will probably look at your toes at some stage during yoga practice and you don’t want to get distracted because you’re thinking about a pedicure appointment!
Where can I buy clothes and yoga equipment?
- £££ Sweaty Betty
- ££ TKMaxx
- £ H&M
- A great site for anything yoga related is www.yogamatters.com
What else do I need to buy?
- If you practice at home rather than a yoga studio you might want to get a yoga mat. Don’t get a gym mat or general exercise mat because they are often way too thick and they roll up which is annoying! You can get yoga mats from about £10 (I saw some recently at TKMaxx)
- As a beginner you don’t really need anything else until you decide that you want more out of your yoga practice and maybe decide to do a specific style or want to try practicing with props. The basic props that are really useful are a yoga strap, yoga brick or block and a yoga bolster.
How do I find time?
Well this is a tricky one if you have kids! Only you know (and be really honest with yourself because it’s easy to find excuses!) when you have a little bit of time here and there. It’s all about prioritising of course so maybe the cleaning, ironing or watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones can wait half an hour to make some time for exercise!
And if you find you can’t get any free time with your kids around, why not involve them? They will love to work through an online practice with you!!