Money Saving – Food shopping

After the recent pbloggers chat about budgeting and saving money I have felt a little inspired to put together a list of my top tips to save some pennies on the food shopping each week, as a family of 5 now with children that are never full the food shopping can get a little out of hand, so I am always looking to save a few quid here and there the main things I do to keep us in budget are;

• Meal Plan

Meal planning will save you a ton each week it really will you’ll waste alot less and feel so much more organised I used to hate it trying to come up with a meal every evening and I almost always needed to nip to the shop for one or two extra bits. I’m going to write a post next week on how I do our meal planning so keep an eye out for that!

• Make a List

Its all well and good having your meals for the week planned but you also need to make a list, if I go in the supermarket without making a list I’ll just impulse buy and usually forget the majority of the items that we actually need which then means more trips out to get these bits and more spending.

• Brands

Some people get really het up about brands, but really all your paying for is the packaging own brand is just as good try switching one or two items a week to own brand you’ll find decent alternatives and save some pennies!
We’ve switched to Aldi completely now for all our food its saved so much and I’ve been really impressed with the food I would actually rather shop there budget or no budget.

• Home cooking

cooking from scratch is usually a lot tastier even mine and I’m a terrible cook and it can save you money, when you first start cooking from scratch the initial herbs and spices you may need to purchase can seem expensive but once you have them they are going to last a really long time.

• Meat

Now I for one really like meat I couldn’t go veggie in a million years but its just so pricey nowadays so to cut the cost of our food bill I like to have one or two meals a week where we don’t have meat so maybe we’ll have a vegetable pasta bake, stir fry maybe an omelette all really easy dishes and still yum!

• Batch cooking

And my last buy by no means least tip for saving some money on the food bill would be batch cooking I absolutely love using my slow cooker particularly now its getting a bit cooler and making a big dishes, I add loads of veg and lentils to bulk it out and then whatevers left goes in the fridge for a lunch or freezer for another dinner its a great way to save time and money!

So there we have my top tips for saving some money on the food shopping if you have any more to add please let me know in the comments.

Mums' Days

1. September 26, 2014 / 5:16 pm

I agree with own brands – my husband is a bit of a brand snob though and it’s a nightmare convincing him to change some times. I’m slowly converting him little by little! x
    #TheList

2. September 26, 2014 / 11:12 pm

Great post 🙂 Own brands are usually pretty good – my husband used to be all about the brands before, but nowadays as we have to budget more carefully with just one of us at work, he is a convert 🙂 Vegetarian food is yummy, and we should have it more often – not only cheaper but healthier for you too. #The List

3. September 27, 2014 / 8:03 am

Meal planning is something we keep meaning to start, as we need to save money. You have inspired me to start asap. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

• October 2, 2014 / 1:21 pm

it definitely helps glad I’ve inspired you! 🙂

4. September 27, 2014 / 12:16 pm

Great tips. I meal plan every week too and now I am used to doing it I honestly don’t know how I used to shop without a plan, I must have just wondered around picking up all sorts of stuff. It has definitely made my shopping cheaper. And with the brands too I have also tried bits and pieces from the value ranges too to pick and choose whats worth getting and some of the range is just fine.

5. September 29, 2014 / 12:24 pm

Great advice – meal planning keeps me sane otherwise, we’d be on fishfingers and omlettes all week! We only have meat once or twice a week but my big ‘rant’ is the cost of fish. It’s so good for you and yet it costs a small fortune so we only have it about once a week – if you don’t count fish fingers 😉

• October 2, 2014 / 1:23 pm

god yes its ridiculously expensive!

6. October 1, 2014 / 7:16 pm

We switched to Lidl a few months ago when I was pregnant and had time to go, I really like the products there and highly recommend it to everyone. I switch between aldi and lidl a lot. The only thing that phased me at first was the checkouts and how fast it goes through with no room or time to pack. Ive got a system now though for coping with it whilst entertaining a baby and a toddler!

• October 2, 2014 / 1:24 pm

yeah at first i felt really rushed at the check out but its such a better way to do it!

7. October 1, 2014 / 8:50 pm

Still laughing so much about your Early Riser post I had to come back for more!! 😉
    …The meat one… I totally need to get more onto this! We’ve started eating omelette at least every other week… Mostly because I’m still in shock that all the kids actually enjoy it. But it’s become our ‘go to’ solution the night before the big shop! Other than that, we haven’t got into planning a vegetarian meal or two, and I know it would make a huge difference!
    Thanks for the tips!

8. October 21, 2014 / 2:56 pm

Great tips. We meal plan and shop for two weeks at a time. The less we go to the store, the more we save. We also only buy meat on sale. I keep a list of the lowest prices I have seen and when I find it at that price again I stock the freezer.