8 Things to never feel guilty about as a new mum

Mum guilt is real. When a little bundle is born we drop ourselves into second/third or even forth place. It see’s us mums feeling guilty when we so much as want to take a pee in peace – it gets easier with time trust me! I’ve been thinking back to those early baby days and the things I used to feel guilty about so I thought I would share my “8 things to never feel guilty about as a new mum”.

8 things

1. Staying in bed till noon. Baby days can be hard work, especially the early days. Newborns sleeping patterns are very unpredictable don’t feel guilty about nodding back off with your little one or having a bed day. Leave the house work, stock up on snacks, have nappies and wipes to hand and don’t leave the comfort of your duvet from time to time!
  2. Washing your hair. I have lost count of how many times I’ve heard “I couldn’t get in the shower because the baby was awake.” Put the baby in a safe place like a cot or even the bouncy chair in the bathroom with you and have the shower. You will feel so much better for it.
  3. Forgetting how many days/hours/minutes old your baby is. We’ve all been in the situation  “This is baby Susan she is 8 months 3 weeks 2 days and 35 minutes old” whilst we wrack our brains trying to remember what month we are in. It’s not just you don’t worry – Susan’s mum is just a bit of a nob.
  4. Loving a bit of daytime TV. Maternity leave is all about becoming an honorary loose women and learning from Jeremy Kyle exactly how normal our lives actually are in comparison to some. But draw the line somewhere if you hear yourself saying ‘must be off now I want to catch today’s Judge Rinder’ step away from ITV.
  5. Not using half the crap you buy for the baby. Don’t feel guilty about the amount of stuff you ‘needed’ so badly in the run up to your baby arriving – we all make unnecessary purchases for the first baby. Just suck it up, put it online and hope some other poor sod also needs that rocking nursing chair with 4 reclining setting and a cup holder which has held nothing but a pile of washing for the last 6 months.
  6. Feeling bored. Babies are cute, I like them but (sorry girls) they’re a bit boring. Feed, burp, change, sleep – repeat. The first few days you’ll stare at them in awe wandering if they’re actually really here after 9 long ass months, after that you wouldn’t be alone if you felt a little bit bored from time to time. Top tip from one mum to another never wake a sleeping baby because you are bored – instant regret take up knitting or a love of day time TV leave the baby alone.
  7. Only changing out of your PJ bottoms when guests arrive. My eldest daughter is 6 and I still get home and change straight in to my PJ bottoms it is fine!
  8. Posting too many pictures of your baby. You went through 9 months of waddling around trying to control things like your hormones, morning sickness and bladder for this parenting lark. Sure the babies bald and a bit wrinkly but it is also the most beautiful thing you have ever laid eyes on – post away.

To clarify you feel free to stay in bed all day taking photos of the sleeping baby whist watching Jeremy Kyle with clean hair and checking the bids you have on the crap you just Ebay’d and you bloody enjoy it.

1. January 18, 2017 / 11:18 pm

Haha love this post! Who doesn’t love a bit of Jezza in the mornings?! I also second the PJ bottoms – I have more pyjamas than I do clothes these days.. But I definitely don’t feel guilty for it!!! Xx

2. January 19, 2017 / 10:16 am

You’ve got it spot on, especially the bit about pjs.. isn’t that everyones daily uniform? I will say I was the mama who could remember the kid’s ages in weeks until they were both 1 – but only because I instagramed them with their age waaaay too much haha xx
    Emily and Indiana recently posted…The First Taste of Snow, January 2017My Profile

3. January 19, 2017 / 1:59 pm

This is so true to begin with I did feel guilty about these things when really as a new mum u shouldn’t
    Joanna recently posted…2017 family bucket listMy Profile

4. January 19, 2017 / 5:38 pm

Definitely agree with all of these – especially the feeling bored bit! Babies ARE boring! But then their personalities start to come through and that’s the best bit!
    Devon Mama recently posted…Days Out: Golden CapMy Profile

5. January 19, 2017 / 9:45 pm

Yes I love this! All so true, I loved a bit of a day time TV binge when I was on maternity leave. Also, it’s fully acceptable not to bother changing out of your pyjamas even when guests come round!
    BloggerMummyLauren recently posted…My 2017 Blogging GoalsMy Profile

6. January 20, 2017 / 9:52 am

I agree these are all things not to feel guilty about it and I’ve done most of them when I was a new mum #thelist

7. January 20, 2017 / 11:27 am

Haha I love this. I can be guilty of the showering thing. The problem is he screams and I feel so bad. I’ve become the master of singing nursery rhymes and showering super quickly #TheListLinky

8. Helen
    January 20, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Spot on! Those early newborn baby days are really tough, so you have to do what you have to do to get through them. I’m currently pregnant with my second baby and now know what to expect. Gulp! 🙂 #TheList

Helen x

9. January 20, 2017 / 5:16 pm

Love this post! I’m definitely guilty of staying in my pjs. My little boy turns one next month and even now we still have PJ days. The only difference is I don’t feel guilt about them now. I’m pretty sure everyone puts their PJs on as soon as the get home…don’t they??
    #TheList
    Becky Clark recently posted…PANCAKES – The perfect Friday treatMy Profile

10. January 22, 2017 / 9:18 am

I’m going to be a new Mummy again in a few weeks and am looking forward to all of these! #thelistlinky
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…#MySundayPhotoMy Profile

11. February 2, 2017 / 2:01 pm

You have to be thankful for having a new born child.It is a blessing!