Why I do not like santa..

Ok so with that title I sound like the most scrooge and horrid parent ever but I just don’t like this whole father christmas thing – I never have.
I don’t ever remember a time from my own childhood that I believed in father christmas, I had older siblings and I guess they cracked the lie before I knew any different. I remember being younger and hearing the other kids in my class like ‘oh santa bought me this’ and I just sat there thinking do they really believe in this?

I get people like the whole magic of christmas, but christmas is a magical time regardless of this fictional man. I love christmas but to me isn’t about presents anymore or what I need to buy for my children it’s about having fun together; going for wintery walks, fun crafts, baking and just spending time together, christmas day – yes there will be gifts but I want my girls to appreciate giving gifts as much as receiving. I sounds really cheesy here but this year it’s bothered me so much hearing what every one wants or is spending it’s like a competition, each year bigger than the last and the big man sits there taking all the credit.

Bella was playing up the other day and actually came back at one of my empty threats with “it doesn’t matter mummy santa will buy it for me”. Now my children are by no means brats but that comment really got on my goat, father christmas gives them this sense of entitlement and although I enjoy treating my girls and seeing their little faces light up on christmas day they do not need 100 presents under the tree to show I love them. Oh wait these gifts aren’t even supposed to be from me are they..

To me the whole idea of santa is a little bit backwards and before everyone jumps down my throat yes it’s bit of fun for the children hence why I grin and bare it and don’t walk around with my I hate santa t-shirt on but it doesn’t change the fact I don’t like it.

Children should be grateful for the gifts the receive and realise friends and family have worked hard to choose and buy them a gift that is just right for them.

I have had that bee in my bonnet for a couple of weeks so I am glad to have it off my chest please tell me I am not the only parent out there who thinks santa is stupid… I love christmas and I am really excited for it this year we have a ton of fun stuff planned but roll on the year I don’t have to pretend ay!

IMG_2053

1. November 22, 2016 / 12:48 pm

It’s a tough one!! I personally am all for the magic of Christmas and at the moment for Amelia that does include Father Christmas, this is the first year she’s been talking about it loads so I’m really excited. But at the same time I agree with what you say about entitled kids. Amelia will get a stocking/sack from Father Christmas but gifts under the tree which usually includes the larger presents are from me and family etc as like you said we’ve all worked really hard to provide so I want Amelia to be grateful for those. But it’s the entire season for me too like you said the built up, the lights, the crafts etc all about the fun of it not just the presents!xx
    Alice recently posted…An Afternoon Tea with Great Little Trading Co.My Profile

2. November 22, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Well I never believed either! We grew up not celebrating so I didn’t have a proper Christmas until I was 18. I do enjoy Christmas but I can’t get my head around why people spend so much money. We don’t do presents for adults and this year because we’re going skiing the week before and spending loads on ski gear, money while we’re there etc-My children will only get a few presents in a stocking and no ‘big present’ I don’t want them to be spoilt and I also don’t want to teach them a bad example of spending lots of money for one day of the year when they could go on the holiday of a lifetime instead, if that makes sense!

So glad you wrote this xx
    Amy Treasure recently posted…Plant pots from Rattan Direct reviewMy Profile

3. November 22, 2016 / 7:55 pm

I kind of torn on this one. I love the magic of Santa for little ones. Of them imagining the elves in his workshop and him flying with his magic reindeer and the anticipation on Christmas Eve but similarly I want him to appreciate his gifts from us and loved ones. Luca gets a few presents from Santa and the rest from us. It also makes it easier for us to explain about less privileged children to him at this time of year as otherwise he would just think they would all get their toys from Santa so he wouldn’t understand why we make him donate some of his old toys. Hope that made sense? .
    Franki ~ Wonderful Chaos recently posted…Simple Kid Made Santa Hat Christmas CardMy Profile

4. Tee simpson
    November 22, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I agree with you. I feel that its lying to my kids. I just be staright up with them..saves the tears in a few years time when they find out hes not real. We still have the magic of christmas withiut “a lie”

5. November 24, 2016 / 9:58 am

I think i’m kind of on the fence with this one…while it would be easier for me not to have to pretend that Santa exists, my boys are of an age where the whole magic of Christmas incorporates Santa so i want to keep that going for them as long as possible. xx
    Vikki Holness recently posted…Top Tips For Black FridayMy Profile

6. November 24, 2016 / 10:16 am

I think it all stems from your own experiences as a child. I was the eldest of 6 and we had to keep the magic alive for all of my younger siblings and i loved doing it so much. I just felt it was important to me as a big sister to make it so magical and, now as a parent, i feel the same. I love that they believe as i know that one day they won’t so i embrace it x
    Keri-Anne recently posted…Christmas home stylingMy Profile

7. November 24, 2016 / 5:52 pm

My son is 12 and doesn’t believe but he is keeping it going for his sisters who are 7yrs. When I was a child everything came from Santa and yes it was amazing, but my parents took no credit for that. However we get them one from Santa and the rest from us, as I like to play a part in that excitement as well!!
    Stephanie recently posted…Red Letter Days Christmas QuizMy Profile

8. November 25, 2016 / 9:29 am

I love the magic of Christmas, spending time with family, giving gifts and Santa. I don’t try to put all of the weight on to Santa, because I want the kids to understand the importance of gift giving, and we also don’t go over the top as I don’t want them to be spoiled. But I do think that believing in Santa adds a little extra magic to the whole season, and I love that.
    BloggerMummyLauren recently posted…A change of PlansMy Profile

9. November 25, 2016 / 10:16 am

I agree with you, children need to be grateful to their parents for their hard work and provision but the alternative is hard. One girl came into school a couple of years ago and declared there was no Santa and Emma is still distressed by the memory. I know she will realize it one day, probably sooner than I’d like her to, but to me that is a sign of growing up and I still want my little girl to be little and believe that the world is a magical place. She will have plenty of time to know of its horrors.xx

10. November 27, 2016 / 5:38 pm

I LOVE the whole Santa lie — although, we did tell the boys that Santa bought them a just couple of presents and we bought them the biggest, most expensive one!! I don’t want them growing up to think that we’re not spending our own hard-earned cash on them at Christmas each year!! xx
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…Home Etc #78My Profile

11. November 27, 2016 / 8:43 pm

We have always told stories of Father Christmas and we let our son know that even though we and other relatives buy christmas presents there will be a little few or a special one that santa drops off. I love the magic so much that I probably still believe in him a little myself, whether it’s the cola red version or the original st nick giving out wooden toys. magic is definitely something that lasts a lifetime x
    Lori recently posted…EMBRACING HYGGE AND FRESH FLOWERS FOR CHRISTMASMy Profile

12. fiona jk42
    November 29, 2016 / 1:20 pm

My father was very strict and only bought my sister & me a single gift each on our birthdays and at Christmas. In addition, we each had to choose some of our Christmas gifts to be given to the local hospital for children who were in hospital over Christmas. Needless to say I spoiled my own children each Christmas, giving them multiple gifts.