Top 5 family films for a rainy day

Well looks like we have well and truly said good-bye to summer doesn’t it? This year has been a bit of a wash out but you can put money on the sun coming back as soon as the kids are back in school. Well I am hoping at least then I can sit outside and enjoy the sun in peace!

This has been my first summer holidays with three kids all off at once for 6 weeks straight, as last year Maisy was still in nursery so it has been a little tough at times with this rubbish weather. I envisioned us going off for long county walks and picnics every day and while we have fit in a few of those it’s been nowhere near as many as I’d of liked, instead we have been enjoying cosy DVD days and indoor picnics (I daren’t even attempt a soft play in the holidays).

One thing that has become apparent to me over the past few weeks is how much my two big girls have grown up and grown into their own personalities and with that they are expressing different things they are in to. For instance with the DVD’s we have had a couple little tiffs (all out war) over what we are going too watch with Maisy being the girly girl wanting princesses and fairies and Bella being much more into her super hero’s wanting things like The Hulk – yes really that s angelic looking blonde girl is mad on him. #HulkSmash.
Both are head strong little things and neither like to back down (shock preschooler’s who don’t like the word no) so I have spent the summer trying to find some great family films that will suit everybody’s taste. Well except Lottie who generally just points at the telly and say’s Peppa but there is only so much of that pink little pig one can take.rainy day

Here are my top 5:

1. Home alone – this one is for me who doesn’t love home alone!? Has to be the original 2 though they are the best.
  2. Happy feet – lots of singing and dancing definitely get my girls up and moving when it is on so that’s a bonus plus I am obsessed with penguins.
  3. Beethoven – one I watched a thousand times as a kid but still love.
  4. Toy story – Toy story couldn’t have not be a part of this list my girls have loved this film for so long, even though it’s been about for years children still seem to just adore these films and I’m not surprised they are awesome, I even remember going to watch this at the cinema as a child.
  5. Dumbo – This film makes me cry every time but I have to include it because when I think back through all the classic Disney films this is 100% my favourite.

Was so tough to pick just 5 my list could have gone on, what would be on your list?

This post was written in collaboration with Rakuten.co.uk

You Baby Me Mummy

1. August 25, 2015 / 6:03 am

Thanks for sharing your list, I think my 11 year old would really enjoy home alone, I will have to get that for her

2. August 25, 2015 / 10:10 pm

I love love love that Bella loves her superhero’s, your right you wouldn’t think that face would like those things. Love how different their personalities are 🙂 Can you believe I’ve never seen Dumbo!! x
    Alice recently posted…A Family PartyMy Profile

3. August 26, 2015 / 6:25 am

I know seriously where has summer been this year? It’s been utterly rubbish. Those are all such good film ideas, as a family we love snuggling down on the sofa and watching a film, especially in winter. xx
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…A Trip To Hampshire….My Profile

4. August 26, 2015 / 9:01 am

My kids love Dumbo and Toy story, but not seen Beethoven or Happy feet. We have had to resort to rainy day film afternoons too. What happened to the summer??
    Let kids be kids recently posted…Photo bookmarksMy Profile

5. August 26, 2015 / 5:55 pm

Great choices. I love nearly all of these, I haven’t watched HappyFeet yet so will have to put that on my watch list!
    xx

6. August 28, 2015 / 8:25 am

Hubby is a proper film geek so Dexter’s list of films he has seen is already huge at the age of 2. He LOVES Home Alone. As a family its definitely one of our all time faves to watch together. Also, its one of those rare films where the sequel is is as good as the first.(we don’t mention 3 or 4 in our house)
    I’ve shown him Dumbo as it has the train at the start and he LOVES trains so a good one to hold his attention.
    Leslie Rickerby recently posted…Pregnancy update – 18 weeksMy Profile

7. August 28, 2015 / 7:08 pm

Ohhh Beethoven I had forgotten about that! I shall dig that out for the rainy bank hol! #TheList x

8. August 28, 2015 / 7:09 pm

Ooooh I LOVE Home Alone 1 and 2 – originals are the best, and am totally going to be introducing my little man to them this year. Not sure if he will get a lot from them as he has only watched animated movies thus far, but I love it!

I can recommend so great newer movies:
    Big Hero 6, Bella should love that if she is into superheroes.
    How to Train your Dragon 2.
    Inside Out – definitely for the older audience, you will probably love it.
    Classic faves of mine are:
    Lion King, which my boy loves and
    Beauty and the Beast – he is not convinced by it yet.
    Katrina #TheList
    Katrina Chambers recently posted…How NOT to get a passport for your childMy Profile

9. September 14, 2015 / 8:22 pm

Great list! I love all these films. Must get Dumbo on DVD to show my son!