What my car-less week has taught me

Last Thursday I was driving home and something didn’t feel right in the car, the clutch was noisy and vibrating under my foot like a mad thing. The next day my fears were confirmed the clutch was on its way out, not gone but I was advised to only really drive it in an emergency until it is fixed as I could break down anywhere – this is my worst fear breaking down at some busy junction with the kids in the car, I wouldn’t have a clue what to actually do and would probably sit and cry until someone rescued me. What my car-less week has taught me

A week on I am still car-less, a week of trying to get all the everyday jobs done without a car has taught me a few things;

1. I am seriously unfit – a year ago I hated driving the car it filled me with so much anxiety I would avoid it at all cost’s, I used to walk everywhere go shopping and lug it all home, everyone would say I’m mad because I had a car but still chose to do it all by foot but I was in great shape. Now after the school run I’m all puffed out!
  2. I took my little car for granted – I took for granted just being able to jump in and go where ever, well within reason I’d aim for places I knew I could park at (still not cracked that one). Being at home is boring, after a morning at nursery the girls aren’t up for a big walk we’ve been trying to go to the park on the way home for  little bit but most of the afternoon’s have been spent at home so I’ve been having to come up with crafty stuff for us to do.
  3. My children are huge whinge bags – before the car they used to be good little walkers especially Maisy she was always so good at walking long distances, now they’re used to the car I have two little whiney children, don’t get me wrong I know they’re usually a little tired from nursery but you’d think I was asking them to climb mount Everest the way they go on. “Mummy my leg’s can’t make it”
  4. I have some seriously good balancing skills – I can push a pushchair one handed whilst balancing two scooters on top and holding one of the whinging children without crashing, it’s a skill I’m now strangely proud of.
  5. Public transport is still crap – sorry but it is. Yesterday I paid £2.20 to catch a bus (£2.20!!! I used to pay 90p, inflation gone cray cray) firstly it was late, I was on the bus for about 6 minutes stood up of corse as the push chair bay was rammed. I feel a little robbed, it’s not an experience I’m in a hurry to repeat.

It’s been a long old week for me and as the car won’t be fixed until next Saturday I have another week of tantrums (me and the children) and tiered legs to look forward to. So sorry little car for ever taking you for granted, if you promise to never break again I promise to never ever accidentally reverse you into the garage again (it was only a little bump I swear you can’t even see a mark).

You Baby Me Mummy
Stopping at two

1. June 12, 2015 / 8:13 am

Oh gosh, I always thought I don’t know what I’d do without my car, but I don’t travel for work anymore and once my little boy starts school, everything really I would need is a walk away….supermarket, school, park, gym, cafe… Saying that, I probably could only cope a week without it 🙂 x
    Michelle (@AFamilyChatter) recently posted…Summer Clothes for a Toddler GirlMy Profile

2. June 12, 2015 / 12:05 pm

We didn’t pass our driving tests until we were 24 so the first few years of married life were spent without a car. Even now we have got down to one car and that sits on the drive most of the time. We walk to school and nursery each day (passing other people getting into their cars for the same journey)and I walk down to the shops. We save a fortune in petrol costs and get free exercise too. Other parents do think we’re crazy though!
    Ness recently posted…Tips for starting trail runningMy Profile

• June 12, 2015 / 1:47 pm

yes I used to be the same it is half an hour walk for us to nursery and then I have to walk half hour back as well theyre only there for 3 hours which makes it worse feel like I’m up and down like a yo-yo!

3. June 13, 2015 / 6:44 am

This made me laugh as this was me 3 years ago. 3 years on and I am still carless and it drives me mad. I hate not having freedom and yep, G moans about her 7 min walk to preschool every single time!
    Katy recently posted…My weekly list #15My Profile

4. June 13, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I would be lost without my car! My house is quite remote and we’d be so stuck!! We do get out for walks without it a lot, but I’d really struggle with the twins and shopping etc. Jess x

5. June 14, 2015 / 8:06 am

Eeek hope your car is fixed soon. I don’t know what I would do without mine although it is my fear too to break down with Sam in the car!! Hope this week is a little easier #sundaystars x

6. June 14, 2015 / 9:06 am

I love my car and moped but they’ve definitely made me lazy. When I went back to Scotland I could barely walk a mile. Terrible. My excuse is it’s too hot here to walk. Ever. Maybe when we move….

#sundaystars
    Mama, My Kid Doesn’t Poop Rainbows recently posted…#BigBoobProblemsMy Profile

7. June 14, 2015 / 9:24 am

We try not to use our car as much as possible. We walk to school (15 minutes) and I always walk to the shops.

I couldn’t do without the car for swim club, ballet etc, but I reckon there are lots of journeys that are possible by foot / bike.

It is immensely important we cut down on car journeys for pollution / environment but also our health and safety of the kids. No one let’s their kids play out and this is mainly due to the amount of traffic on the road.
    Megan – Truly madly kids recently posted…Image of the Week #19 – BeachMy Profile

8. June 14, 2015 / 4:50 pm

It’s one of the fears I have about becoming drivers that we will become lazy, driving places we would normally walk, I hate the fact that the convenience of a car would overtake the exercise i get walking places.
    Ashley Beolens recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

9. June 14, 2015 / 9:27 pm

I use my car a lot too and hate getting the bus! The trains near me are really reliable but the buses are not! I could walk and like you do enjoy it but it does add a lot of time on doesn’t it! X
    Julia @ rainbeaubelle recently posted…Saltwater sandals for me and my girlMy Profile

10. June 16, 2015 / 10:45 pm

It’s funny how easily we take cars for granted, isn’t it? I don’t know what I’d do without one. I have a 25-mile commute to work that isn’t realistically doable by public transport (it costs twice as much and takes an hour longer), and we have been a two-car family out of necessity for years, as my wife has a similarly long commute in the opposite direction.
    Tim recently posted…Holding back the fearMy Profile

11. June 17, 2015 / 7:53 pm

Oh my goodness, point 3 made me larf! I have a whinge bag too and I’m also 100% committed to my car (I’ll blame living in the middle of nowhere..but honestly I barely walk anywhere), perhaps I need to get off my arse and take him for more walks? Seems the only solution?!

Great post, thanks for linking up to #TheList xx