Our Themed Week: Cars

Themed WeekAs you may have read in last week’s Kid’s Corner post I am going to be joining in with What Katy Said’s themed weeks. I loved this idea as soon as I started reading her post’s it’s such a simple way to get yourself being a little more crafty with the children and give everyone’s imagination’s a kick-start!

If your like me you’ll often find your self rummaging through the craft box with no clue what so ever as to what you can actually make so in the end you say “here stick this on some paper” – which they are very happy doing but its nice to sometime have a little more structure!

So this week’s theme was Cars!Toddler-3

I have had a very busy week but we still got a few fun activities done and so here goes

Painting with cars

Recently I purchased a Tuff Spot – they always have them at playgroups I’ve been to and they are awesome they make messy play so much cleaner (is that even possible?). So armed with some Paint, a bunch of cars and a big piece of paper we got started!

Painting with Cars I randomly squeezed out blobs of paint (washable paint by the way I’m not mental) and the kids got stuck in. Of corse the first thing that happened was Lottie falling into the blob of red paint to be expected with a clumsy 15 month old though yeah?

IMG_1260IMG_1268

They loved getting a bit messy and seeing the different tyre marks they could create. They were also really interested in how the colours changed when they mixed together!

Car wash

So what do you do when your cars (and children) are covered in paint – encourage the to clean up with a good old car wash. Which yes essentially was a washing up bowl filled with soapy water but they loved it this was probably they’re favourite activity out of them all.

Number Car Park

IMG_1550This is a really quick and simple activity to get children thinking about numbers while still having fun with cars. I just drew the ‘car park’ on a big piece of card and gave each space a number then gave Bella  couple cars. I deliberately didn’t put the number’s in order as she can count really well but I’m trying to entourage her to recognise the actual number’s, if you have a younger child you could try this with them in the correct order to help with counting.

Bella really enjoyed this and really shocked me with her number skills! I’s a simple activity that could be used over and over again.

Model Painting

Lastly I spotted these little clay car models in Wilko the other day and at £2 each and it being ‘car week’ I quickly grabbed them for the girls. They were a great little activity for them to get on with while I got on with some boring mummy chores.

That’s it for our Car themed week you can read Katy’s here. Next week our theme will be shapes!!

1. June 10, 2015 / 6:09 am

Love your car themed activities – the printing with the car wheels looks like so much fun as does the car wash and those clay cars look great too. Your girls look like they were having a fabulous time 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…Sea-themed crafts for preschoolersMy Profile

2. June 10, 2015 / 7:23 am

Brilliant activities. I love the numbered car park, so simply yet excellent for number skills. You’re so good with the messy paint, I need to do more of that… outside! xx
    MyLifeMyLove recently posted…I’ve switched to Self-HostedMy Profile

3. June 10, 2015 / 7:42 am

I love this. It sounds like so much fun. I particularly like the idea of painting with cars. It really does teach them cause & effect. If I move this car, this paint trail will be left behind. It looks like you all had a great time.
    Chloe
    xx

#kidscorner

4. June 10, 2015 / 9:04 am

Great ideas, I need to be better at organising activities for my boys. Def going to get a Tuff spot now!
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Amy #kidscorner

5. June 10, 2015 / 12:53 pm

You do so many craft things with your girls, I need to take a leaf out of your book because I’m not very imaginative when it comes to messy play! Love the Tuff Spot, going to look into one of those xx #kidscorner

6. June 10, 2015 / 6:18 pm

What wonderful ideas! Love the idea of using cars to paint with! #kidscorner
    Emma’s Mamma recently posted…A mum phenomenonMy Profile

7. June 10, 2015 / 8:38 pm

Love this – you’re SO creative! Cars are always a big hit aren’t they? What a great idea. I just love how messy they got. xx

8. June 14, 2015 / 9:49 am

Some fab ideas! I particularly like the painting with cars and think my boys would love it. I was talking to my five year old about choosing themes during the summer break, cars is a great one. x

9. June 16, 2015 / 2:09 pm

WOW looks like you had an amazing week and what lovely captures to cherish from it too. Lovely post. Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Siblings {June}My Profile

10. June 17, 2015 / 8:40 pm

Looks like you all had lots of fun – love that photo of Lottie covered in paint, bless her!
    I do like the idea of theme weeks – maybe have to give one a go over the summer holidays when the girls aren’t doing something similar at nursery!
    #SundayStars
    Karen recently posted…Need a napMy Profile