New Kitten Checklist

Did I mention that last week I picked up our newest family member? Maybe just once or twice..

I am absolutely in love with my little Rosie she’s so cute and we’ve not been had her a week but already I couldn’t imagine life without her, the kids adore her and love cuddling up with her or chasing her round when she’s having one of her hypo moments – she has these ALOT!

Today I’m sharing with you my new kitten checklist, I didn’t have a clue all the stuff they actually need it surprised me a little so if your thinking about getting a kitten check this out.

New

• First up you’ll need something to bring the little ball of fluff home in, if you had someone with you, you could get them to hold the kitten but I wouldn’t advise they are bound to be feeling a little afraid and confused so will try to get away – a pet carrier is the safest option. I got mine for £15 from Pets at home they didn’t have it online but it’s similar to this one.
  • A bed for the little one and a scratching post, I really liked the look of the little house/cave type beds they look so soft and cosy but really what cats like is to be up high which is why in the end I opted for this two in one type product with a bed at the top and a scratching post to save the furniture, she really loves this she’s always playing in it or cuddled up on top snoozing – when she’s not in our laps that is!
  • Obvious one Kitten food and a bowl, they do have to have the specific kitten food at first and then they’ll move on to adult food when they reach a certain weight, Rosie’s been having the Whiskas Kitten. I also got her a few bottles of there kitten milk but since talking to one of the staff in Pets at home she informed me that they don’t really need it so I wouldn’t bother again.
  • Then there’s the litter tray, scoop and cat litter – very glamorous I know but unless you want one hell of a mess you’ll need it, kitten’s cannot go outside until after they have had both sets of vaccinations one is to be given at 9 weeks the other at 12 weeks that’s if you want them to be an outside cat either way you’ll need a tray.
  • Some toy’s they do sleep a lot at first but when they are awake you’ll know about it! They go crazy Rosie’s favourite is one that’s attached to a stick and we dangle for her she chases it round like a loony – feather’s, a bell what more could a little kitten want!
  • Lastly a good vacuum cleaner, she kicks her cat litter out all over the place so the hoover is out all the time and not to mention things like pet hair, I was sent a great vacuum from Gtech recently to try out and I love it. The AirRam K9 is suitable for all domestic pets, it is great at getting my floors clean and without a cord it really makes it convenient and quick to use.

Another thing I would advise anyone who is soon to be picking up a new kitten or any new pet for that matter is to get them booked in at the vet for a quick check up as soon as possible, they can also flea and worm them if that’s not already been done, I took Rosie down the day I picked her up so we didn’t have to worry about it again a lot of places offer a free consultation for the first visit.

New Kitten Checklist

I hope this has been useful to anyone thinking of or soon to be picking up a new kitten!

The Twinkle Diaries

1. May 11, 2015 / 10:12 am

Rosie is adorable! I would love a kitten, we have a cat but she is very old now and just sleeps most of the time bless her. So lovely for the children though to have a pet xx
    Julia @ rainbeaubelle recently posted…Tired, stressed and planting seedsMy Profile

2. May 11, 2015 / 9:22 pm

Aww Rosie is so so sweet, we had nothing when we got Toby and had to rush out and get all our puppy stuff it was all a bit of a shock, I hope you get as much joy from Rosie as we do from our lovely giant Puppy x
    Sarah Chirstie recently posted…What Are Linkies? A Guide For New BloggersMy Profile

3. May 12, 2015 / 9:31 am

Oh my, what a cutie!! Great tips for new kitten essentials.. I just need to buy new vacuum cleaner, my old one is just not good enough for all that hair.
    Marina @ Parental Journey recently posted…When We Were Young…My Profile

4. May 12, 2015 / 2:21 pm

Awwwww how cute!!! Definitely agree with the scratch posts, we have two in our flat – one in the bedroom and one in the lounge and it has stopped our cat from wrecking the furniture! x

5. May 12, 2015 / 7:13 pm

She’s adorable! I’ve got three boys myself and I’d definitely recommend a brush, your probably ok at the minute but kittys tend to do a lot of malting as the summer arrives
    Alice Megan recently posted…The Origins of CoffeeMy Profile

6. May 15, 2015 / 10:09 am

Awww she is adorable! Hopefully we’ll be getting a kitten at some point this year to add to our furbaby family – currently our one year old Springer has an obsession with chasing cats so I’ll have to use all my patience to introduce them properly. Thankfully I’ve had dogs and cats whilst I was growing up so I’m replying on the experience.

Such a useful checklist, I’ll come back to it when we’re ready for our new arrival X #TheList
    Lins @Boo & Maddie recently posted…Outside TouchesMy Profile

7. May 15, 2015 / 7:48 pm

Oh my goodness, how utterly adorable is she? I keep on at the other half about getting a cat since ours passed away a couple of months ago. He says we can, just not yet! I’ve got two rabbits to keep me going for now but seeing little Rosie makes me all kitten broody! Enjoy her and this is a great guide to what you need! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…The rollercoaster of a toddler meltdownMy Profile

8. May 19, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Ha! How funny we got kittens at the same time! Great checklist – wish I’d seen this before, would have saved some guess work 😉 Thanks for linking up to #TheList xx (it would be ace if you could add the badge or link back lovely!) xx
    Hannah Mums’ Days recently posted…Toddler Bedroom IdeasMy Profile