Mums essentials – Long Car Journey’s

A Mum’s essentials guide to long car journey’s when travelling with children.

Last week we braved a 4 hour trip from Dorset to Pembrokeshire, Wales for a family holiday at Bluestone.

Now while a holiday is lovely and I’ve been so looking forward to this little break I was absolutely dreading the car journey there is only so many times you can play the frozen soundtrack to keep them entertained so I’d been thinking of little things we can take to do or play in the car to keep little ones entertained as long as possible and also some item’s that will keep me sane!

I’d gotten the kids a back pack each to keep the main bits in for the journey so we’re not in and out of the boot every 5 minutes, and here’s what inside.

LeapPad Ultra; they have one each so no fighting(!) and a couple of games each these were a god send to keep them entertained on the journey!

Colouring & stickers; easy to pack and keeps them quiet for ages, yes the car and they may just sit in there car seats and stick them on their faces but its worth the peace. I was recently sent these STABILO’s Cappi pens*, they are ideal for children when your on the go, the loop keeps them all together (my pet peeve is losing the lids of pens!) and you can clip them on your handbag or even a a car seat. Really handy to have in your bag for a quick activity.

CPT 658200-xlarge

The set above was sent over from Do Crafts* and just in time! they were great to throw in the bag for the journey all you need and for only 2.75 margin they have lots of great little kits available!

Magazine; This is sure to keep them entertained for ages again stickers, pictures, little stories for me to read to them(when other half’s driving of corse safety first)

Play-doh; Not really for in the car this is more for when we stop at a service station but provides a bit off entertainment while waiting for food!

One Toy; I don’t want toys flying around the car when driving thats just dangerous so one each and we’re good to go- Maisy choose Jessie, Bella went for Woody (toy story lovers can you tell?)

And in my bag?

Snacks; I go for easy grabby snacks to chuck in my bag for the kids and us, so rice cakes, cereal bars, packets of rasins and today some of the fruit factory sports mix up’s*, these we kindly sent for us to try out and being 75% fruit but just like gummy sweets the kids love them so they make a nice treat!

TFF-Sport-Mix-Ups-18g-Inner-Bag-resized Book; If they nap I can have a good read, its rare! you can see the books I’m reading at the moment here. Currently working my way (slowly) through Sharp objects.

Baby crap; You know the general stuff you need for babies nappies wipes bottle ect. I’m really liking the Bennetts bum buddy traveller* – wipes and cream in one, easily kept in the car for unexpected explosions (sorry but it happens to us all)

Pillow; Long journey – sleep deprived mother if I get the chance I’m guna take it!

So there are some of my essentials for a long journey with the small people, any more suggestions I’d love to hear them?

*PR samples

1. March 10, 2015 / 10:18 am

I love those pens! I would quite like them for me but they are brilliant for taking out and about. We haven’t really tackled any long journeys yet but these are great tips for when we do! xx

• March 10, 2015 / 11:13 pm

Thanks Hayley x

2. March 10, 2015 / 10:37 pm

I love cap pens they are fantastic, Joe is always losing pen lids and it is a pet hate of mine x

• March 10, 2015 / 11:11 pm

this has been such an easy way to keep track of their pens they’re usually left everywhere!

• March 12, 2015 / 8:32 am

ino so practical!

3. March 12, 2015 / 12:31 pm

Those pens look fantastic Amy, I will have to check those out! It’s a great post!

4. March 13, 2015 / 8:33 am

Those pens are a great idea. I will have to invest!

5. March 14, 2015 / 5:41 pm

Fab list, I need to put together stuff for the car, as I always find I could do with more to keep her entertained. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

6. March 14, 2015 / 8:57 pm

Great list, we are off to Cornwall at the end of the month, its about a 7 hour drive so I am currently working through my list of what to take, its going to be a long drive with 3 under 6 in the car.

7. March 15, 2015 / 8:27 pm

Such good tips here, still feeling anxious about our journey in a weeks time! Thanks for linking up lovely #MummyMonday xx

• March 16, 2015 / 9:02 am

youll be fine! x

8. June 3, 2015 / 7:50 am

There are some great ideas here. I’ve not thought about taking Playdoh about before but this would be a great idea x
    Emma Chanagasubbay recently posted…Exploring Reigate HillMy Profile

9. June 3, 2015 / 8:02 am

Great list! You’re right about one toy, our car is always FULL of toys! And when we get home we can never be bothered to take them indoors! xx #kidscorner
    Alex recently posted…Little Mr Independent My Profile

10. June 3, 2015 / 8:06 am

What a great post! It can be so stressful travelling on long journeys with small children. I love the pens. They look fab! I will be checking them out and also the bum buddy. I am not familiar with either of them. Thanks for sharing.

11. June 3, 2015 / 8:59 am

Fantastic list! I love those pens, I’ve never seen them before! Thanks so much for hosting #KidsCorner x

12. June 3, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Great list, we recently went to Australia (from Scotland) and I had similar items packed for Finn and the usual baby products for Rory. Finn (3) also loved those books that have a whiteboard pen. He scribbled and wiped for ages!
    Amy (Feeding Finn) recently posted…Sweet Potato, Lentil and Carrot CroquettesMy Profile

13. June 3, 2015 / 8:11 pm

Wow I love the pens they are a great idea. Love the list, will be keeping this one close as expecting a 2 hour journey at the weekend 🙂 x #KidsCorner
    Mudpie Fridays recently posted…Easy DIY Fathers Day GiftMy Profile

14. June 10, 2015 / 7:49 am

I’m definitely always in need of a pillow in the car…I don’t really get away with passenger seat snoozing now I’m not pregnant any more though sadly! #kidscorner
    Kate , Baby Routes recently posted…30 Days Wild- Day 8: Making mapsMy Profile