For the past week I have been taking part in the Upbeat bloggers protein challenge, if you follow my twitter and instagram you may well of noticed lots of healthy looking foods being snapped which is a big change from my usual biscuits and cakes!
As part of my health and fitness challenges I’ve been blogging about recently I have been setting small challenges each week, so when upbeat challenged me to increase the amount of protein I was eating for a week and then document how I felt I jumped at the chance. Fad diets really are not for me I just want to eat foods that are healthy and make me feel good!
I must admit before this challenge and reading up on it I never realised just how important protein was, I heard protein challenge and immediately thought of body builder’s. I think that can sometimes scare people a little they think too much protein and they’ll gain weight (spoiler alert: after this weeks challenge I have not turned into Arnie) phew.
Couple interesting facts I’ve learnt this week are:
- Our muscle is renewed every 2 months! So your body needs protein daily to support the regeneration.
- Muscle and bone health starts to decline from as early as 35 years being active and having a well balanced protein rich diet will help to counter this.
So my challenge started after a brilliant delivery from Tesco full with lots of great healthy foods to help me on my way to increasing my protein intake.
Lots of these foods were new to me – is that right I have never cooked with turkey mince and I claimed up until this week to dislike Salmon I know bonkers it has been great trying out some new recipes inspired by Upbeat.
Breakfast was a biggy for me I am guilty of skipping breakfast ALOT I often find myself so busy organising everyone else and trying to get them all out the door in the mornings I forget and then before I know it it’s lunch time and I still haven’t had a thing to eat. The past week I have been very strict though and made sure I get a decent breakfast everyday, now its all about getting myself into that habit so I don’t even have to think about it. This is some of the typical breakfasts I’ve been having the last week:
- Granola full of lots of seeds and nuts, topped with some natural yogurt, linseed and almonds.
- Scrambled eggs and spinach on toast topped with some smoked salmon – amazing!
- Porridge made with natural yogurt and topped with almonds. My other fave topping for porridge is banana, a little honey and nuts/seeds.
Lunch I more or less had the same thing everyday and that was salad, cous cous and feta cheese I just absolutely love it!
As I mentioned earlier I’ve been having a lot of fun changing things up a little more at dinner time with this challenge two dinners that went some particularly well we’re these:
- Turkey and Feta Burgers I have already shared the recipe for these here, they went down very well with the whole family and were so easy to make.
- This was my chuck everything in and hope for the best dish, its turkey, red lentil and sweet potato curry with lots of other veg thrown in as well, the recipe for this has been requested and I hope to get it up next week for you all it was sooo tasty!
Snack wise its been mostly nuts, dried & fresh fruit or a bottle of upbeat protein drink – these are delicious slightly like a yogurt drink go great in smoothies as well. Fact time: there is actually 20 grams of protein in one 250ml bottle which I was totally impressed by that is equivalent to about 3 eggs! These little bottles have been a god send when my 3pm tea and biscuit munchies start to kick in.
So at the end of the week how am I feeling?
Great – its been bit of an eye opener for me, I’ve found ways to really enjoy healthier foods and its been so nice to experiment with some recipes, I was stuck in a bit of a cooking rut! I have snacked so much less this week I just haven’t felt as hungry as I said previously the afternoons are my worst time, energy levels fall and I end up snacking on the wrong things increasing the protein has kept me fuller for longer.
And the big one breakfast – it been setting me up for the I feel better just knowing I have had a decent meal before we head off out, if I only take one thing away from the challenge it will be to stick to a good protein rich breakfast each day.
Big thank you to Upbeat for setting me the challenge it has been great fun!