2 Ingrediant play dough for babies

As you’ll know with my two toddlers and a baby I often find there are certain activities I can do that are great for the older two but just not suitable to Lottie. So recently I’ve been looking for alternatives that mean Lottie doesn’t get left out but are still safe and fun for her too!

A couple of weeks ago I posted about making Paints for babies using yogurt it was really popular – seems there are lots of parents having the same problems finding fun activates for the younger ones!

Now play dough is a big hit in out house – the girls love making it with me and then will spend hours playing with it, we usually have it out every single day you can find the non-cook recipe I use with them here. And while I know exactly whats going in to this and it would be completely un-harmful if for Lottie to play with as well there is the food colouring and lots of salt in their it’s still with a baby who like to put everything in her mouth I would prefer to find an even more baby proof way to get her involved.

Today I found it and its so simple two ingredients I would put money on you having in your cupboard already..

PLAIN FLOUR & HOT WATER

That’s it! No it’s not in bright colours and it will only last one day but she was so happy to be involved with her sisters and me playing at the table like a big girl, I just threw it in a bowl but for exact measurements I’d go 1 cup flour to 1/4 cup hot water and add a little more flour or water to get the right consistency.

This is actually probably the smoothest quickest play dough I have ever made. Lottie did eat some – quite enjoyed it as well actually but as it’s just flour I didn’t mind at all!

1. February 17, 2015 / 4:42 pm

That’s a great idea! My son is just starting to get into playdoh, at 2 you’d think he’d be past stage of putting it in his mouth but I have caught him having a nibble! x

• February 18, 2015 / 4:29 pm

haha what are they like!

2. February 17, 2015 / 8:38 pm

We will be doing this with Baby Girl tomorrow. Thank you! You should join Play at Home Teacher’s ‘Play at Home’ linky with your paint & baby play dough – it’s perfect.

• February 18, 2015 / 4:28 pm

Thanks for the tip will check it out x

3. February 17, 2015 / 9:38 pm

This is such a good idea!!! I love that it has no salt in. I’m definitely going to make some of this for Sophie. Xx

• February 18, 2015 / 4:27 pm

yay let me know how it goes! x

4. February 18, 2015 / 9:14 am

Aw fab – my little man is almost 6 months and I’m trying to find fun, safe activities for him to get involved with!

5. February 18, 2015 / 12:02 pm

That is such a wonderful idea! I’ve been looking for edible playdough recipes for my daughter, and this may be the most simple and effective one! And you’re right I have the ingredients in my cupboard already, and I’m trying it this week! Thank you for sharing such a useful post 🙂 #sharewithme

• February 18, 2015 / 4:25 pm

ah thankyou, your welcome come back and let me know how you get on! x

6. February 18, 2015 / 10:59 pm

What an amazing idea, so safe for little ones x

7. February 19, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Ah fantastic! I make bread all the time but have never thought to simplify it to make playdough like this!! Definitely adding to my list of things to do!! x

8. February 20, 2015 / 4:31 pm

This is fantastic idea and would be great for my two. I am scared of playdoh and the mess it makes but they really do love it don’t they. Lovely post and photo darling. Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me. #sharewithme

9. February 21, 2015 / 10:38 pm

Ah brill! What a great idea. My little one is getting more and more interested in what her big sis is playing with and would be great to get her more involved.