Baking with children – The truth

Picture this; its a rainy afternoon kids are at home fighting over my little ponies, I need something quick, something easy we can do together. What shall we do? I know lets bake some cakes! Yes that’ll make a good instagram that will be fun!

Mini chef

After 5 minutes I’m reminded of why last time I vowed to never bake with them again, forget the recipes and stories you see on pinterest or the beautiful pictures posted on instagram forget the blogger who just love to get there kids in the kitchen this is it – The truth about baking with children.

So we start off so excited agh cake who’s doesn’t love cake but as I try and get all the bits and pieces together the kids soon start to get bored of my faffing and start poking there fingers into the butter, yum.

Yes I need a bowl on my head

Finally I’m ready enough spoons for one each obviously it would be unacceptable to think they could share and its time to do some weighing 2 toddlers one set of scales – cue arguments. Bugger! Think, think what would Topsy and Tim’s mum do? One weighs one sieves (wipes brow that was close nearly had full blown meltdown by the 2 year old).

Measuring and mixing lots of concentration

Next job cracking eggs, 2 eggs enthusiastically squeezed and dropped into the mixture. Well who doesn’t like a little shell?

“Bella get the spoon out of your mouth”

Time to give it all a good stir – “No Maisy not with your hands”

Add 2 drops of vanilla extract, half a bottle later to try and save an incredibly vanillary cake with lots of extra flour.

“Bella get the spoon out of your mouth”

Time to spoon it into the cases.. blob on the floor, blob on the table, blob in their laps one in the case 1 out of 4 not too bad a suppose?

Time to let them cook and here comes the wails-

“Are they ready yet”
“How about now”

Continues on for a good 20 minutes

Finally slightly soggy cakes are baked and cooled time to decorate before we even have chance to discuss maisy has decided they will be pink already, I’m not going to argue that girl knows what she wants.

“Bella get the spoon out of your mouth”

But she’s so happy with her master piece
Until next time!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

1. November 27, 2014 / 12:01 am

Brilliant, it is just like this! I’ve taken to setting it all up before I even mention the idea 🙂 #brilliantblogposts

2. November 28, 2014 / 10:12 pm

hahah! That gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect if one day I decide to bake with my little one!
    #brilliantblogposts

3. November 29, 2014 / 4:45 pm

Love this, baking with little people is fun but hard work! Love your gorgeous pics! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x

4. November 29, 2014 / 5:12 pm

hahaha so funny, I bake with my 17 month old a lot, he loves it…but I only let him stir….otherwise it could be a disaster! most of the batter gets eaten too before its cooked! lol looks like you guys had fun! #brilliantblogposts (happyhealthymumma)

5. November 30, 2014 / 2:08 pm

Lovely humorous take on it all! My 2yo see helping in the kitchen as an excuse to eat cake mix or biscuit doh too, but 5yo is becoming quite a good little helper now 🙂 #SundayStars

6. November 30, 2014 / 2:16 pm

I tried baking with Gwenn once, when she was about 16 months I think, and it was the worst morning of my life! I think I’ll give it a few months before I try again! x

#sundaystars

7. December 1, 2014 / 10:47 am

This is exactly how baking with kids is, lol! Its super stressful and the amount of mess they make is actually impressive. Why do we do it to ourselves? Is the cake REALLY worth it? lol x

8. December 5, 2014 / 12:26 am

haha, every word is so true! Most of my kids are old enough to get on and do it themselves now but there’s still plenty of ‘get the spoon out of your mouth’ from me even at 13 lol
    Thanks for linking up with #SundayStars x

9. March 18, 2015 / 9:07 am

So cute – she looks so happy with her cake! I love baking with my toddler but its a messy business!

10. October 12, 2015 / 10:09 pm

Ha ha…your pictures look great. Love the end result. Baking certainly has its ups and downs with little people. One day they will make you a cake without any assistance! And it will taste yummy.
    Sarah recently posted…Coventry Transport MuseumMy Profile