Weaning survival guide

Baby turns six months and all of a sudden your bombarded with emails, samples, charts and information packs giving you step by step guides to weaning your baby on to solids. Easy – except what they don’t mention is babies are all different and what works for one may not work for another.
Weaning Lottie has not been straight forward, for at least the first month she was completely uninterested, she pursed her lips and refused to even try. Now and 8 months we have finally got to the stage where she is showing interest she wants to try different things, she enjoys feeding herself alot more than others feeding her so I’ve put together a weaning survival guide;

Firstly you need to be prepared for mess and lots of it, weaning is messy theres no way around it. At this age babies hands are everywhere so be on you guard, if they aren’t trying to wack the spoon out of your hand, they’re sticking it in the gob which is full of food and then smearing it into their hair or worse yours!

Bibs; You need lots of bibs preferably big ones that will cover as much of their clothes as possible – unless you like mountains of washing and want to buy shares in vanish that is.

Should of used a bigger bib mum

Using two spoons; this is the only thing that works for me to stop Lottie grabbing the spoon off me. If she can hold a spoon she’s quite happy for me to feed her. But…

Yum

I have to be fast, she soon looses all interest and finds blowing raspberries whilst I try to dodge flying food in a matrix type fashion much much more amusing!

And Finally when your fed up, have an orange stain down your favourite jeans and mash in your hair – let someone else take over preferably an over enthusiastic 2 year old.

Happy to help

Mami 2 Five

1. October 21, 2014 / 5:17 pm

Amazing photos! I love the orange faced one!

2. October 21, 2014 / 5:54 pm

Oh weaning is so messy, from the feeding to nappy changing! Everything in our house is orange stained at this point x

3. October 23, 2014 / 8:56 pm

So cute! I know what you mean about the entertaining factor! Both mine love food but they’ve had their moments. Well done you. She’s gorgeous! Xx

4. October 26, 2014 / 10:29 am

Really good post. Totally agree. I LOVE the photo of her with an orange face!!!!! Brilliant! And…you have a helper to feed her for you! Brilliant. Thanks for linking up #SundayStars Jess x

5. October 27, 2014 / 8:49 pm

Love the photos! Two spoons I go with too, and I have those bibs that are like coats that cover everything! It still gets everywhere though! My little girl also quite likes to eat yogurts with forks and sometimes just her fingers. Messy! X

6. October 27, 2014 / 9:59 pm

We have to use two spoons as well! It is a messy experience

7. October 30, 2014 / 12:01 am

I found weaning very difficult not because the girls were fussy or difficult eaters but I just don’t do well with food mess. Don’t get me wrong I not some neat freak or anything like that but kids chucking food around is my idea of hell. Thankfully my husband was very understanding and took over on food duties.

My tip – always have a face flannel on hand. Much cheaper and more environmentally friendly than wipes.

8. December 10, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Adorable photos and great advice – especially the two-spoon method. We’ve gone the baby-led weaning route… which is messy, but in a different way and I think probably easier to clean up. Although, a piece of fruit can probably travel a lot further when thrown than puree. 🙂

9. December 10, 2014 / 5:25 pm

Lovely pictures, we found the two spoon method worked wonders for us too – although anything tomato based guaranteed huge difficult-to-remove orange stains!